Ron Rivera welcomes Hornets coach James Borrego to practice

Friday, June 8, 2018

It's not every day a coach from the NBA makes his way out to an NFL practice, but the Panthers welcomed one of the newest head coaches from the league to the fields by Bank of America Stadium on Wednesday.
New Charlotte Hornets head coach James Borrego visited the Panthers at the request of head coach Ron Rivera for the team’s OTA practice. Borrego, a former assistant with the San Antonio Spurs, Orlando Magic and New Orleans Hornets, was named the team’s new coach on May 10.

ALSO READ :Carolina Panthers players who stood out during OTAs

Borrego is the latest in a handful of guests to check out Panthers OTAs along with Pro Football Hall-of-Famer Troy Aikman and former Panthers linebacker Jon Beason. But Borrego is the first person with NBA ties to stop by the Panthers’ practice field this year.


“Our Xs and Os are different, but there are things I’m learning from them,” Borrego said of the Panthers. “We’re trying to build a culture. It’s about leadership, it’s about mentoring, it’s about communicating. Watching these guys communicate every single day on the field out here is incredible. My challenge for my group is going to be the same thing. We share a lot of the same values. I think we play a very similar style, just in a different field.”

Rivera and Borrego have some natural ties. The Panthers coach is the third Hispanic head coach in NFL history, and the only one currently in his position. Borrego is the first Hispanic coach in NBA history.

Borrego, 40, actually followed Rivera much earlier during their respective coaching careers. After playing at the University of San Diego from 1998-2001, Borrego became an assistant coach there from 2001-03 before moving to the professional ranks.

Rivera, 56, actually coached the San Diego Chargers much later, from 2007-10, but Borrego is plenty familiar with the former defensive coordinator from the same area.

"I want to strike up this friendship because when I came here, I didn't know anybody that I could lean on,” Rivera said. “Now I'm able to offer that opportunity to somebody. I want him to feel welcome because I want to see success. I want to see the Hornets grow and become a great team in the NBA, and I think James is off to a great start. If I can help him in anyway, then I want him to know that I can help.”

Borrego replaced former head coach Steve Clifford, who led the Hornets to a 36-46 record in 2017-18. Clifford went 196-214 in five years with the Hornets, leading to his dismissal at season’s end.

ALSO READ:BREAKING: Luke Kuechly ranked fifth-best player in NFL

The Albuquerque, New Mexico native got a taste of what it’s like to be a head coach in the NBA in 2015, as Borrego took over the interim job with the Orlando Magic. He compiled a record of 10-20 in 30 games, and re-joined Gregg Popovich’s staff for the second time the following season. Borrego began his NBA coaching career with San Antonio from 2003-10.







    THINK IT IS IMPORTANT? SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS!
                                                             
Share on :

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2015 SUCCESS WORLD NEWS
Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Design By Herdiansyah Hamzah